Welcome Everyone to a "NEW" addition to the "Soft in the Head" family “Soft in the Head Hauntings”! This blog will be devoted entirely to my love of Halloween and everything Halloween and the inner “trickster” that exists in all of us! I will debut new Halloween characters and their stories here, quirky stories from my childhood and funny and often “bloopers” of my everyday life road. I hope you will find some time to follow the "Haunting Happenings" here at "Soft in the Head Hauntings".....

~~~I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween. ~~~

The Countdown Begins....

"From ghosties and ghoulies and long-leggedy beasties, and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!" - Old Scottish Prayer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The "Ghoultide Gathering" October 2, 2010

Aug 20, 2009

Favorite Old Ghost Movies.......

Okay I admit it I am an old movie buff....I am a charter member to "American Movie Classics" and I love the "Turner Classic Movies" as well. What is my all time favorites though are the early "ghost" story type movies, like "The Uninvited" from 1944 starring Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey. This movie still gets my adrenalin pumping and has my skin tingling in anticipation of being scared. There is no blood and guts or spectacular special effects it is just good old black and white movie magic, and it works! There was one old movie that starred Bob Hope that I loved, "The Ghost Breakers". It was a great funny ghost romp from the 1940's and then it was later made into a movie with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis called "Scared Stiff". Both movies were full of laughs and scary moments that kept you thoroughly entertailed. I enjoy old fashion ghost stories, ones without blood and gore...I just want to be scared not made ill! I felt very lucky to have grown up with the "old" Hollywood and the black and white movie genre. Black and white movies give one a feel of "spooky" without really trying.

There is one movie that came out in 1988 that I thought was an exceptional "ghost" story. It is called "The Lady in White" with Lukas Haas. This movie is full of our childhood fantasies of what Halloween and spooky pranks can do to our imaginations. It is tense and sad but yet it gives you a sense of peace at the end. It mixes the scariness of an old ghost story with the horrors of a true life monster that lives around us. Fantastic movie! Share some of your own favorites here. We all need to add to our "ghostly" movie lists!

5 comments:

Sandra Caldwell said...

Oh great movie list, Ray Milland was so handsome. Thanks for sharing . Love your blog. Sandra

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Well Pam, I have put scared stiff in my queue from netflix..will let you know how we like it..here's one for you that you will like..its called "Ghost Story" with Fred Astaire..I thought had a great story...I too love the old movies..we had nightmare theatre growing up on friday nights...loved it..:) have a good one..:)

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Popping in to say a belated hello!

Chris (-:

fiddlestixstudios said...

I just adore your new Halloween blog!Very entertaining!
Hugs:-),
~Mandy

Anonymous said...

Love your blog!!!☺