Welcome Everyone to a "NEW" addition to the "Soft in the Head" family “Soft in the Head Hauntings”! This blog will be devoted entirely to my love of Halloween and everything Halloween and the inner “trickster” that exists in all of us! I will debut new Halloween characters and their stories here, quirky stories from my childhood and funny and often “bloopers” of my everyday life road. I hope you will find some time to follow the "Haunting Happenings" here at "Soft in the Head Hauntings".....

~~~I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween. ~~~

The Countdown Begins....

"From ghosties and ghoulies and long-leggedy beasties, and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!" - Old Scottish Prayer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The "Ghoultide Gathering" October 2, 2010

Jun 20, 2009

Remember Saturday Matinees?


I remember when my weekly allowance of 50 cents could take me into the pits of fear and imagination! I could hang out, for a couple of hours, with The Wolfman, Frankenstein, Mummy, Dracula and a cast of a hundred others. Haunted castles, houses and cemeteries became places of wonder and intrigue and of course the occasional death or body snatching. I grew up with a whole other concept of electricity, colored liquids and bubbling tubes and an ooze that could take over the world. High pitched screams, creaking doors and agonizing moans were not only expected but I sat in wait for them. Even organ music makes my head dance with the images of spirits spiraling through a vast decaying room in a dark and foreboding mansion or castle. Women were always the victims (boy how times have changed) and the prettier they were it seemed their IQ dropped. I miss the old tyme Actors that created these life long matinee friends. Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney Jr. and BelaLugosi. It seems that they not only immortalized these monsters but they created pretty big shoes to fill. Thank God for the Steven Spielberg's of our generation who were able to capture some of that old tyme Saturday Matinee magic and create a world for our children to get lost in......I still look under my bed at night before hitting the sack, "how about you"?

5 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

oh we had nightmare theater that came on at 11 or 12pm every friday night..and we used to watch that..loved dark shadows on tv..never seen any scary ones at the theatre..saw birds when i was in 9th grade at our school because we won spirit week..loved it...still love horror flicks..but they are getting more gory..and I do alot of filter vision with my fingers..guess I need to stick to the oldies..love your swamp witch on your side bar...:) have a great rest of your weekend..:)

WoolenSails said...

I don't really remember going to movies when I was younger. I do remember godzilla movies though.

Debbie

Old World Primitives said...

Hi Pam,
I followed your Tweet on over here & am just loving how this blog is coming along! The header image and layout are fantastic too. And since I have long been curious about the image of your house to the right - do you run a shop out of your home selling your dolls? And if so, do you have regular hours or are visits by appointment only? I have always dreamed of doing something like that, when I finally move to my dream home in my dream town, and am so curious how an arrangement like that would work out and if it would be fun, tons of work, or both!

Stephanie

Christopher A. Klingler said...

You are VERY welcome on the award & sorry I did not send it sooner!

Your Halloween blog ROCKS!!!

SpOOky Best Always,
Chris (-:

XOXO

The Smiling Goat said...

Of course I look under my bed!and everywhere else!